Ready to roll is an idiom meaning “eager and prepared to take action” or “ready to leave a certain place” Last week we learned about the Passover. It was now time for the 10th plague, the plague of the first born. God had already prepared His people to be safe by telling them to paint their doorposts with the blood of a lamb so that the death angel would pass over them.
Israel had to be Ready to Roll
On the night of the 10th plague, God told people they had to be ready to leave Egypt when He told them. Exodus 12: 11 “These are your instructions for eating this meal: Be fully dressed, wear your sandals, and carry your walking stick in your hand. Eat the meal with urgency, for this is the Lord’s Passover…34 The Israelites took their bread dough before yeast was added. They wrapped their kneading boards in their cloaks and carried them on their shoulders…39 For bread they baked flat cakes from the dough without yeast they had brought from Egypt. It was made without yeast because the people were driven out of Egypt in such a hurry that they had no time to prepare the bread or other food.
At the time of the Exodus, the people would have used sourdough to raise their bread. There was no such thing as a packet of yeast in the grocery store like today. Baking bread from sourdough takes several hours to rise and the Israelites didn’t have time for that, so they skipped the leaven all together.
Jesus was Ready to Follow the Father’s Instructions
Just as the people were ready to roll at a minute’s notice the night of the first Passover, Jesus was ready to do His Father’s instructions.
- John 5: 19 So Jesus explained, “I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does.
- John 12: 49 I don’t speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it.
- John 14: 31 but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. 
Each of Us Need to be Ready to Roll at God’s Instructions
- 1 Peter 1: 14 So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. 15 But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. 16 For the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.
- 2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching.
We see that the Hebrew people were ready to leave at a moment’s notice. Jesus also only did what His Father told Him. Now, as followers of Jesus, we also need to follow what our God says.
To hear more about being ready to roll, listen here: