Have you ever run away from what God was clearly calling you to do? We don’t like to admit it, but in various degrees, we have all run away from God during our life. As people, God has given us free will and sometimes we don’t always make the best choices. The one thing I have learned about running from God is that He pursues you. The Lord pursues us like the shepherd pursues sheep who are headed in the wrong direction.
In our story in Jonah 1:1 the Lord gave this message to Jonah son of Amittai: 2 “Get up and go to the great city of Nineveh. Announce my judgment against it because I have seen how wicked its people are.” 3 But Jonah got up and went in the opposite direction to get away from the Lord. He went down to the port of Joppa, where he found a ship leaving for Tarshish. He bought a ticket and went on board, hoping to escape from the Lord by sailing to Tarshish. 
What if you are running from God or thinking of running away from God’s plan for your life? What should you do?
- Talk to the Lord in prayer and be honest about your feelings.
- Ask the Lord to take away any fear you are experiencing because of His request. Fear is not from the Lord.
- Know the Lord is not asking you to do something that you are not capable of. The Lord knows you better than anyone in the world.
- Understand that moving forward in faith is not easy.
- Remember the Lord is with you. He is not asking you to something by yourself or without help.
- Take a time out and look up to God.
Through the years, Philippians 4:13 is a verse that has helped me when I wanted to run away from God’s plan for my life. The Apostle Paul writes in Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Prayer – Dear Lord, I am struggling and want to run away from your plan for my life. I know fear does not come from you, but I am fearful right now. In many ways I am enjoying living in the shallows and don’t want to grow. Lord help me to take a step of faith and fill me with a peace only you can bring into my heart. Thank you, Lord, that you answer prayers and want us to fulfill your plan for our life more than we do. Take my hand Lord and lead me. Amen.
To hear more of the call of Jonah, listen here: https://podpoint.com/light-of-christ-church-podcast/series/the-call/the-call-jonah