I like stories of individuals who are being an overcomer. These stories are motivational and faith building. I met a pastor in Russia a few years ago who was jailed for a period of time because he passed out Christian tracts about Jesus. That experience did not stop him but helped build his resolve to build the Kingdom.
Corrie Ten Boom and her sister Betsy were placed in a concentration camp during World War II because they hid Jews in their home. They led many Jewish women to Jesus during their interment. They never gave up hope that Jesus was with them through this terrible ordeal. Each day they were overcomers. Betsy would eventually die in the camp, but not before she gave everything she had to help others. What a celebration there must have been when she entered heaven and was given the crown of life.
Failure to Overcome
The story of Adam and Eve’s first son Cain gives us insight into the importance of being an overcomer. Genesis 4:3 When it was time for the harvest, Cain presented some of his crops as a gift to the Lord. 4 Abel also brought a gift—the best portions of the firstborn lambs from his flock. The Lord accepted Abel and his gift, 5 but he did not accept Cain and his gift. This made Cain very angry, and he looked dejected.
6 “Why are you so angry?” the Lord asked Cain. “Why do you look so dejected? 7 You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.” 
Sin was ready to spring upon Cain like a lion ready to strike its prey, but he did not subdue it. As a result he later killed his brother Abel. Cain’s failure to be an overcomer would haunt him the rest of his life.
How to be an overcomer
What about you? How can I become an overcomer and not fall into the enemy’s trap?
- Draw close to God: To be an overcomer is to be in a battle and we need God’s strength to overcome what is before us. James 4:8Come close to God, and God will come close to you.
- Humble yourself: When we humble ourselves, we realize only the Lord enables us to be overcomers. James 4:10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor. 
- Prayer: Part of drawing close to God is praying for the Lord’s divine wisdom, assistance, and favor. James 5:16“The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” 
- Engaging others in Prayer: Engaging others in prayer helps us become overcomers. Matthew 18:20For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”
- Listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit: The Apostle Paul new to be an overcomer he had to be led by the Holy Spirit. Paul writes in Romans 8:14, “For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. 
- Move forward in faith: Luke 9:23 Then Jesus said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.
To hear more about the story of Cain and Abel, listen here: https://podpoint.com/light-of-christ-church-podcast/faith-makes-a-difference-abel