Has the Lord ever called you to a new assignment? The interesting thing about God’s calling is we have free will. We can step out in faith or we can stay where we are. If we stay where we are, it does not mean the Lord will love us less. It does mean we are going to miss out on the gift and blessings the Lord wanted to give us as we joined in building His Kingdom.
Over the years the Lord has given me several new assignments. New assignments meant changing what I was doing to align myself with His plan. It can be difficult to give up what we are doing to follow the Lord, but that is what He calls us to do.
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross, and follow me.  Matthew 16:24
Jesus calls us to give up our own way. Wow! That is the hardest part and sometimes I don’t want to give up my way. When we do give up our way for the Lord’s way, we find that His plans are so much better than our plans. I can speak from personal experience.
In our story, Moses was going to receive a new assignment. He had been a shepherd for 40 years where he learned how to care for sheep. Now the Lord would use his life experience as a prince in Egypt and a shepherd to become the leader of the Hebrews.
Why would God call us to new assignments? New assignments are part of God’s plan for our life and the Lord knows when we are ready for this assignment. This does not mean the assignment will be easy, but it does mean we can do it with His help. Phil. 4:13 says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- New assignments stretch us in ways only God could design. Like a good teacher the Lord knows how to help us to grow in our Christian walk.
- New assignments affect others by building up the Kingdom of God. God could be using you to lead people to faith, to disciple them, to pray for them or a myriad of other things.
- New assignments can be an answer to other people praying. God would send Moses to rescue the Hebrews who were praying for God’s rescue.
- New assignments allow us to experience God’s Kingdom in a different way.
- New assignments lead us to rely more on God to accomplish what He has called us to do.
- New assignments refine and mold us to be the person God wants us to be.
How about you? What has the Lord taught you through a new assignment? Is the Lord calling you to a new assignment today? Do you need assurance from the Lord to step forward? May the Lord bless you as you walk out the spiritual journey He has for you.
To hear more about Moses’ new assignment, listen here: https://podpoint.com/light-of-christ-church-podcast/series/the-footsteps-of-moses/the-call-of-moses