As Nehemiah tells of the completion of the wall in Jerusalem, he tells of a journey of the miraculous. Yet, he relates this in a very matter-of-fact way.
- So I prayed (2:4) Nehemiah prayed for weeks before going before the king to ask permission to go to Jerusalem to rebuild the wall. The king allowed it and sent supplies with Nehemiah.
- So I arrived in Jerusalem. (2:11) Nehemiah didn’t arrive with fanfare and didn’t even share what his mission was until he had privately inspected the wall.
- So they began the good work. (2:18) After Nehemiah shared his testimony, the people were willing to join together to begin the rebuilding.
- So we rebuilt the wall till all of it reached half its height (4:6) The people worked despite the jeering of their enemies.
- So we continued the work with half the men holding spears, (4:21) When the opposition increased, God gave Nehemiah a plan to work through it.
- So the wall was completed (6:15) In only 52 days, the people of Jerusalem had rebuilt a wall that had been down for over 140 years. Only God could enable that to happen.
The Miraculous Often Begins with Prayer
What began with prayer led to a God empowered project. What seemed to be an impossibility became a reality with God. As the project progressed the miraculous became the norm. Centuries later Jesus would explain the same thing to His disciples. Luke 18: 27 He replied, “What is impossible for people is possible with God.”
Even Nehemiah’s enemies realized that despite trying every trick in the book to stop the wall they couldn’t because it was God’s project. Nehemiah 6: 15 So on October 2 (445BC) the wall was finished—just fifty-two days after we had begun. 16 When our enemies and the surrounding nations heard about it, they were frightened and humiliated. They realized this work had been done with the help of our God.
God Has a Miraculous Journey for You
Miraculous journeys are not just for people in the Bible; they are for all believers. God desires to have a relationship with you. The fact that the creator of the universe has made a way for each of us to have a relationship with Him is miraculous.
You probably won’t be called to rebuild the wall of Jerusalem, but God has a purpose for your life and will empower you to carry out His plan. This journey begins with a prayer. Humble yourself and ask God to become Your Lord and Savior. Jesus paid the price for your sins on the cross and you only need to receive this gift.
Then begin to read the Bible. Find a Bible believing church where other believers can encourage you along the way. And be ready for a journey of a lifetime here and in eternity.
To hear more about the journey of the miraculous, listen here:
[1,2] Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188.